MEET FRANK OSHANUGOR
By Usman Bello
The Osun State Police Command has confirmed report of seven members of a family found dead in their rooms at Apomu, Isokan Local Government Area of the state.
Police Public Relations Officer(PPRO) at the Command, Superintendent of Police Yemisi Opalola, said eight persons were on Tuesday found in the rooms in the house but only one was found breathing, explaining that poison of carbon monoxide (generator fume) is suspected to be the cause of their death.
She however told AtlanticNewsonline that the result of autopsy would confirm the actual cause of death. A generator was however, found in the house and a report that the generator was used by the family the previous day gave suspicion to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The police spokesperson said investigation was ongoing to know the real cause of the deaths adding that “One person, a 14-year- old- girl, was found still alive,though unconscious, and she was rushed to the hospital where she is recuperating.”
“The remains of the other dead members of the family had also been taken to Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) Teaching Hospital, in Ile-Ife, where autopsy will be carried out on them to ascertain the cause of their death.
*AtlanticNewsonline gathered that the dead persons were discovered by neighbours who believed they died in their sleep. Their bodies were reportedly taken to a private hospital in the community by sympathisers, but were rejected, before they were taken to OAU Teaching Hospital morgue.
Meanwhile, the State Government has ordered immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death.
In a statement by the Commissioner for Health, Rafiu Isamotu, on Wednesday the government sympathized with the community and as well ordered that an autopsy be carried out on the bodies.
The government has vowed to unravel the circumstances leading to the mysterious death, maintaining that security and welfare of people of the state still remain its priority.